Sunday, July 02, 2017

G. L. PEASE REGENTS FLAKE

It isn't at all clear why the label is decorated with a map of London, with Regents Park in the upper left. Any connexion seems slightly tennuous.
The tins arrived thankfully before the July first deadline, which, because the voters of the great state of California decreed a new tobacco tax ("it's all about the children"), is when the world began to end.


NEW AND STUPID SIN-TAX

You'd think we would have remembered that we have the longest land border of any state with Nevada right next door. Drivably close. We're the original car-culture state. We're born law breakers. And when you make a black market profitable, we will take advantage of that opportunity.

But it's all about the children.

Bugger the little brutes.


REGENTS FLAKE
G. L. PEASE

Tin poofle:
"A generous measure of fine Izmir leaf is layered on a sturdy foundation of mature red and sweet bright Virginia tobaccos, then pressed and allowed to mature and ferment in cakes before being sliced and tinned. This is one for the lover of Oriental mixtures, with their exotic and enticing incense-like aroma and brilliant flavour. Rub up a flake or two, fill a cherished pipe, and prepare for an exceptional smoking experience."


I wonder if I should tell the person who has the other bedroom in this shared apartment that she is exotic, enticing, incense-like, and brilliant. Hmmm.
She'd probably give me an exceptional clout upside the head.


Late last year the sales representative for this part of the country dropped by with tins of samples for the pipe club. Myself and a few others tried the Regents Flake and 'responded favourably' (meaning that I made off with one third of the tin). At a meeting two months later I stole the rest of it.

Didn't have any after the purloined supply ran out till recently.
The Pipe Club didn't miss it.
I did.


Last week when the shipment showed up at the store (I may have been instrumental in getting that to happen), I promptly acquired some, this time legitimately. Which I smoked for the first time after some pastries and milk-tea in Chinatown -- I remember desperately searching through my piles for an empty pouch that could be used, and was even thinking briefly of using a disreputable looking yellow roll-up, which I seem to have misplaced since then -- and it has been a delightful experience.

I could swear that there is a minuscule amount of Perique in it.

It is mild, evocative, almost perfumy, and finishes softly. The tin aroma has an almost floral quality. This is not for people with unclean habits, but a bit of perversion is quite okay.



NOTE: On Friday some more tobacco came in.
Here's a review: Stonehenge Flake.




TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...